Friday 20 May 2011

Print repeat exercise

I really enjoyed the print repeat workshop with Renato. His step-by-step tutorial on showing how to create a print repeat was easy to follow and also was very helpful. Through a variety of his creative print patterns, I now know that anything from hand-drawn pencil, water colour to photographs, textured fabrics and abstracts can become repeat motifs of a print design.
However, it's not easy and will take a lot of time and profession in creating a repeat from a photograph as matching elements from edges is very complicated. Instead, we were asked to pick out at least 3 elements from the photographs to put into a straight repeat. And here is my first attempt...


I created a simple straight repeat of 4 elements from my cave formation images. After that I changed colours of the print by adjusting hue/saturation of the motifs and fill background.